Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Marble Mountain and Repelling (Day 9)

Day 9 - January 17, 2011

Today was initially going to be a free day, however many of the students in the group decided that we would like to take an organized repel adventure. The professors set this up prior to our arrival in Hoi An and I had become very excited for a true day of adventure.

I woke up and made sure to eat a good breakfast so that I would have plenty of energy for our adventure. We loaded into vans and headed to Marble Mountain. Upon arriving, we were told that we would have to hike a lot and to pace ourselves. We were also instructed that we would first do a practice repel, two smaller repels and then the final big repel. I was so excited for this experience.

Within the first five minutes of our hike, it was apparent that the Vietnamese people constructed large steps for their little legs. I felt like I had to kick my leg up to my nose to get my foot on the next step. While the steps were steep, I kept a positive attitude and mentally forced myself to keep going. I knew I would thank myself later for my toned legs and for the experience, I was going to have. We finally arrived at the practice repel. Our guide taught us the basics and let us practices off of a rock that was about three meters high. He corrected us if we were doing anything wrong. It was nice to have this practice run.

Next we hiked up a little further to our first repel site. As our guide got the site set up, I couldn’t help but look down into the hole that we would be repelling in to. It seemed so far down compared to the practice run. While I was waiting my turn, I felt butterflies of anticipation and fear in my stomach. Once I was hooked into the gear and had taken the first few steps, I was home free. I really enjoyed the first repel, especially after I could jump off the wall and swing a little before jumping again. After getting unhooked from the ropes, I climbed up through a tiny hole to leave the cave. I kept climbing the marble rocks until I was nearly on top of the peak at this particular point. It was so neat to see for miles around me in every direction. I was able to get some pictures with some of the others on the trip and of the beautiful scenery. We then headed to the next repel site. This site was a little higher, and was directly to the left of our practice site. There was no cave to repel down into, just the ground below. I was so nervous at first but also excited for another repel! I made it down this run faster because I was more confident and was able to let myself down faster. It was so neat!

After everyone had finished up, we had lunch nearby. The repel guides had brought along food. I didn’t eat much because the food was in Tupperware containers. I was wary about where the food had been and how it had been prepared. I was avoiding trying to get sick and being cautious. I was hoping we would finish early enough for me to get some snacks back at the hotel.

We then headed to our next repel site. On the way, our guide decided to take us for a scenic tour. He led us into this cave like place where there was a Buddha. Around the corner were steps that lead deeper into this cave. From above I could see many people praying. I also noticed that there was a funky smell and that the place was filled with smoke. I learned that one-day month incense is burnt for good luck. I descended the steps with the group to explore the cakelike temple. Within a few moments, my lungs started to ache and I knew I needed to leave and get some fresh air. I took a few girls with me as we exited the cave. I rested outside where I was coughing for quite sometime. While waiting for our group to exit, we saw a lady take four big water bottles and fill them up with a hose nearby. I had heard that they refilled water bottles and would serve you this way, however I had not witnessed it until then. Still coughing, I joined my group as we headed to another picturesque view. On the way, I sat down to take a break because my lungs were really tight. Long story short, I began to have an asthma attack. Luckily, one of the girls on the trip has asthma also and was able to help me get my breathing under control. I remained extremely shaky and dizzy for quite sometime. I drank a coke and some crackers that someone else had brought with them, hoping to relieve the feeling. The group continued on to the last repel, while I stayed behind with one of the professors and another guy from my group. Once I felt strong, enough we walked down the mountain. I was disappointed that I didn’t get to do the last repel; however it was a smart decision in the end. I probably wasn’t physically strong enough after shaking and having an asthma attack. My body felt exhausted, as if I had run a marathon. Luckily, I was only sore and tired and my lungs no longer were hurting. I was so thankful to have classmates who were able to help me out and who cared so much about me.

Next, we headed back to the hotel where I made sure to grab my inhaler. I had forgotten it earlier and I was convinced I was never going to forget it again. Me and two other girls headed into town for our first fittings. The first tailor shop we went to was the nicer one. The girl who ordered her dress from there looked fantastic in it for her first fitting. After helping her decide what parts should be altered, we headed to the other tailor shop, where the other girl and I had things made. My clothing all fit, but most of it was slightly big and awkward in some places. After trying everything on, and having them mark where things needed to be adjusted we left to do some more shopping.

I was able to purchase Dad a couple of ties for a decent price. I used my two dollar US dollar bills to win the seller over with the price I wanted to pay. I also helped my friends out in the same aspect, who then paid me back later. We also looked in many art shops. I decided that before I left Vietnam I wanted to buy a piece of artwork.

I noticed throughout the night that shops were closing early. Those that remained dimmed their lights and began burning incense. I was so glad that I had packed my inhaler. Apparently, the same incense burning for good luck takes place everywhere. I had dinner at an Italian restaurant, which was SO good. I ordered a pepperoni pizza and coke light for about $7. I was so glad to have something besides Vietnamese food. I find it quite interesting that I am having trouble acquiring a taste for the Vietnamese food. I really enjoyed the food in China, however here I seem to not be able to find anything that really ‘wows’ my appetite.

After dinner, I went back to my tailor shop again to try on my clothes for my second fitting. They fit much better but still needed a little work. Most of the stuff still needed to be taken in on the sides and in the top area. I was still excited to see the outfit coming together.

Shortly after that, I headed back to the hotel. I was exhausted from all the day's festivities and was looking forward to a good night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment