Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Day Out On The Town (Day 10)

Day 10 - January 18, 2011

I woke up today excited for my last and final day in Hoi An. I was excited that it was also a free day. I slept in a little bit before heading to breakfast. I had enough time to day to order an omelet. I am so glad that I did because it was delicious!

After breakfast, I finished getting ready before heading into town with some of the girls. I went with some girls to a shop where they had clothes made. They all looked so beautiful in their new tailor made clothing. I somehow managed to get roped in to having another dress made there. I was nervous at first; afraid it wouldn’t be ready on time. The lady at the shop assured me that it would be, even if they had to deliver it to my hotel. I paid $24 for the new dress and was able to get a deal by giving each lady a $2. These $2 is working wonders for me!

We walked around town picking up each girl’s clothing from their respective shops. I was so excited to finally pick mine up. It all fit perfectly this time. I was so thrilled. We pretty much just hung out all day around town interacting with the locals and practicing our bargaining skills. I really didn’t buy anything else and just enjoyed experiencing the locals first hand. We had lunch at a small café. I had some good French Fries and I was so happy to eat those fries!

After lunch, we went to the massage place where me and three other girls got massages. I got a head, neck and shoulder massage for 70 minutes for $14.00. It felt so good. I had trouble this semester with my back and shoulders hurting and having so many knots. This massage definitely helped to get some of them out. While it was painful during the massage, I felt better afterwards.

Next, we went back to the dress shop for me to try on my last dress. I was nervous, wondering how it would fit after being ordered literally 5 hours earlier. I tried it on and it fit perfectly. I was so surprised. I was absolutely in love with the dress and so glad I got it.

We then headed back to the hotel to freshen up and cleanse ourselves of all the massage oils before heading back out to dinner. We went to dinner at a café that had great reviews in many guide books. While sitting at dinner, several people saw rats the size of their forearm running across the floor. Fortunately, I never saw them. We would have gotten up and not eaten in the restaurant, however rats are everywhere. I have seen many scurry by in an ally way or even in some of the dress shops. Everything in Vietnam is open and so it’s easy for them to come and go as they please. Needless to say, I was still disgusted.

We went across the street and had dessert. This was the first time I have had dessert on the trip. I ordered caramel ice cream with caramel drizzle. It was delicious!

Soon after finishing up, I came back to the hotel and began packing up my belongings. We have to leave for Hue tomorrow and I wanted to get a head start on reorganizing all of my belongings. Today was a fun day and I enjoyed interacting with the locals. I'm sad to be leaving Hoi An but excited to see what the rest of the trip has in store! 

No comments:

Post a Comment