Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Camp Week 8 - Day 1, 2 & 3

Another week has started and is off to a great start! This week we have a camp for children who have been abused and or neglected. We also have a camp for children who have had solid organ transplants or kidney problems. I am a cabin buddy for a cabin of 13 year old boys who have had solid organ transplants or have kidney problems.

The hardest thing about this week is the lack of salt in the food! For children with kidney problems they can't have a lot of potassium or sodium in their diet. There is also no tomatoes, ketchup, cheese or anything like that. Cheese is a staple in my life. It's been so hard to not have it this week. I went to Wal-Mart last night and bought a block of cheese to satisfy me this week!

On to the kids. I have the most precious kids in my cabin this week. There are also other campers in the camp that camp to the camp for kids with heart problems. I've gotten to see some of my old campers from the beginning of the summer. It was so neat to be remembered by these kids!

One of my campers this week is on his last dialysis site. I don't quite understand the medical side 100%, however I was told that if this site fails he will either have to receive a transplant immediately or the doctors will have to perform a miracle to find somewhere else for him to receive dialysis.  It is heartbreaking to see such a sweet child going through so much. He has the best attitude too! I also have a camper in my cabin that is mostly deaf and blind. To go along with that, he also has some mental disabilities. To see him live life breaks my heart, but also reminds me of how blessed I am.

I will write more tomorrow. Camp is going amazing this week. I can't believe we are 2/3 done with the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment