Saturday, January 15, 2011

Roadtrip! (Day 6)

Day 6 - January 14, 2011

We woke up early for a long day of traveling ahead. I slept great on the boat as I had originally thought. After getting ready we boarded a small paddle like boat and went into a cove where our big Junk Boat could not fit. We were able to observe monkey’s on the rocks. It was so neat to see monkeys so close to our small little row boat.

After our quick adventure we headed back to our Junk Boat. We packed up our belongings and prepared for brunch. I was not hopeful for any food that I would like, and was looking forward to finding something to eat once I was off the boat. Thankfully at lunch we had French Fries! I ate those and a spring roll (not the healthiest choice, but better than nothing). I was so hungry and it felt good to finally be able to eat something!

Time came for us to load on to the small trolley boat that would take us back to the shore. It was sad to leave the Junk Boat. Everyone had a wonderful time and we definitely grew closer and became better friends on the boat. I wish we would have had more time to spend in the bay!

We boarded buses for our long journey back to Hanoi. We stopped halfway at another tourist souvenir shop, however this one was much larger and nicer. I bought some food and something to drink for the rest of the ride back. I’ve noticed that in these rest stops there are lines of women sitting and creating silk needlework by hand. It almost appears to be a mini sweat shop. I felt like the owners were displaying their workers like animals for the public to view. It is so strange to keep seeing this, and I have to wonder if it really is a sweatshop kind of place.

On the way back into Hanoi while on the bus, we also saw many factories. I saw a Samsung factory, clothing factory, Canon Factory and a few others. It was interesting to see how big these factories were in what seemed like the middle of the countryside. I assume they provide good jobs for those who choose to work there.

We arrived at the hotel in Hanoi and said our goodbyes to our wonderful tour guide, Hung. We grabbed a quick bite to eat in the airport before heading through security and boarding the plane. The ride from Hanoi to Hoi An was only an hour. After a full day of traveling I felt gross and dirty and I was ready for a shower!

After collecting all of our luggage we were transported from Danang to Hoi An (about a 30 minute drive). We arrived at our hotel, and I had my speculations. While it looked good on the outside I felt like it was placed in a random part of a village. Upon entering the lobby and seeing the room my mind completely changed. The rooms are so nice and modern. Each room has their own little porch out front that overlooks the pool and to the left, the river in Hoi An. The rooms also have a flat screen LG TV, a laptop, a deep stone tub and a separate shower. The bathroom really has no curtain to separate it from the beds, so that made getting ready and showering interesting. I loved the hotel and was so glad that we would be residing here for an extended couple of days. I really felt like I was in a resort. I was excited to see that there was also free WiFi. After checking out everything in the room and unpacking I had the opportunity to Skype John. It was so great to talk to him and catch up on all that he is doing in Spain. We haven’t had an opportunity to really talk that much because of my schedule and his schedule. I have missed talking to him and seeing him. Hopefully things will be better once I’m back in America. I am continuing to count down the days until he is back home! We are both enjoying our travels abroad and I look forward to learning more about the culture of Spain and teaching him about the Vietnamese culture.

I headed to bed after that excited for our first full day in Hoi An.  Below is another picture of where I am now in Vietnam!

No comments:

Post a Comment